Today, I would like to speak to the parents and caretakers of children. I realize that some of them might be a bit concerned. When someone
Some people are under the impression that children are most likely to be abused by a stranger.
According to the American Pediatric Association, about 80% of children who are sexually abused are abused by someone they know.
Darkness to Light cites a study that puts the number closer to 90%.
- These people may include neighbors, teachers, coaches, family friends, religious leaders, etc.
- About 30% of children who are abused are abused by a family member.
- “I will do everything that I can to keep you and our family safe.”
- “I will not blame you”
- “I will believe you”
- Children from single parent homes
- Children within stepfamilies
- Children who are emotionally distant from their parents.
- Children who have been abused before. Some estimates are as high as 1000%.
- Children who have low self esteem
- Children who are labeled as trouble-makers
- older children Children between the ages of 7 and 13 are the most vulnerable